The Writers Alliance of Gainesville (WAG) promotes, encourages and supports aspiring and experienced regional writers. This goal is accomplished via WAG monthly meetings, public readings, ongoing small critique groups, a literary review, writers’ contests, and collaborations with schools and civic organizations to foster creative expression through the written word.
The Writers Alliance of Gainesville (WAG) began as an attempt by two writers to bring variety to the writing scene in Gainesville, Florida. Wendy Thornton, the first president of the organization, credits author Kal Rosenberg with the vision that resulted in creation of the group. Our first public meeting was on January 25, 2009, at the Tower Road branch of the Alachua County Library. Within the first year, WAG expanded to about fifty members, and meetings moved to the Millhopper branch of the library.
In recent years WAG has developed a cadre of volunteers who lead critique pods, plan for invited speakers for monthly meetings, handle finances, manage membership functions, write press releases, keep records, judge contests, publish a literary journal, contribute to the website and newsletter, coordinate pod activities, organize book sales, provide overall vision for the group, and lead or participate in a variety of other functions.
However, the core of the Writers Alliance is our members. Today we are a thriving group of more than 150 individuals who write in many diverse genres and subject areas. As a community we are building relationships with each other to help us foster our love of literature and creative expression.
- Once per month, WAG sponsors a program at the Alachua County Library’s Millhopper Branch, 3145 NW 43rd Street, Gainesville, FL 32606. These programs, which are free and open to the public, are usually held on the second Sunday at 2:30 PM. Click here for list of meeting dates.
- The Writers Alliance of Gainesville (WAG) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization. Donations are tax deductible.
- The WAG Speaker Series is free and open to the public.
- If you receive an email about a meeting or an issue of the WAG Digest and wish to be removed from WAG’s mailing list, please email us.
- Our bylaws can be read here (pdf download).
President: Kimberley Mullins
Vice President: Mallory O’Connor
Secretary: Bonnie Ogle
Treasurer: Connie Morrison
Immediate Past President: Susie Baxter
Bacopa Editor-in-Chief: Mary Bast
Critique Pod Coordinator: Skipper Hammond
Membership Coordinator: Pat Caren
Program Coordinator: Roz Miller
Publicity Coordinator: Joan H. Carter
WAG Digest Editor: Wendy Thornton
Webmaster: Susie Baxter
Facebook: Connie Morrison
If you are willing to help in the organization and maintenance of a vital writer’s organization, please contact President Kimberley Mullins or any of the above members to discuss your interests.
How to Contact WAG
- Email contact: You may send an email to any member of the WAG Board listed above. Click on the highlighted name, and the email address will show up in another window. Type your message and hit send. (If the address shows up in an email application you do not use — Microsoft Outlook, for example — simply copy the address, paste it into the email application you use before typing message and sending it.)
- Mail contact: Writers Alliance of Gainesville, P.O. Box 358396, Gainesville, FL 32635-8396